Have you ever encountered a piece of fabric and immediately known exactly what it was going to be? This was one of those fabrics for me. I went to a Jo-Ann Fabric in Chicago for the first time ever (normally I go to the one in the town half an hour away from my parents’ house) and it BLEW MY MIND. The Jo-Ann location I normally go to has about 1/3 the fabric that this location did, with almost exclusively quilting cotton, baby flannel prints, and licensed character/logo fleece. Not exactly the most inspiring fabric selection. But this Joann… HOO BOY. So many apparel fabrics! It was distraction city from basically the second I walked in the door. Whoops.
Anyway, I spotted this knit fabric in passing, and it was just dying to be a knit wrap dress. So of course I had to take it home and do its bidding. Luckily, I found a tutorial for a Lady Skater pattern hack for a pseudo wrap dress. It was very useful, and given the fact that I managed to use this pattern hack without any incident, it’s also definitely foolproof.
Cutting out the fabric was probably the biggest challenge – the Lady Skater pattern does that weird thing with folding to meet the selvedge edges in the center, and this fabric was really lightweight and sticky to itself. My kitchen is about four feet wide (not kidding) and six feet long and this fabric was >60″ wide and over two yards long, so I just could not get it to fold nicely for cutting. Instead of continuing to struggle inside, I took it out to the hallway and did the cutting there. I am that neighbor, everyone.
After a sweaty cutting debacle, the rest of the dress came together very smoothly. My biggest gripe with the dress is that the back gapes a bit, but that might have to do with the stretch content of the fabric + my neck binding isn’t as tight as what the original pattern suggests. It’s not gonna stop me from enjoying this crazy-printed bad boy.