I AM SO HAPPY THIS PROJECT IS OVER. Mostly, I’m happy because I’ve finished it and I don’t want to frog everything and begin again. This is good, folks.
Below is a screenshot from the movie, along with a very primitive schematic I made up to explain the engineering process that went into the cowl.
Basically, I did a provisional cast on of 30 st and then made increases on every row to create the right-leaning shoulder portion of the cowl. Once I had enough stitches for the shoulder portion, I slipped them off onto scrap yarn and knit the body. To create the waist shaping, I worked until where I eyeballed the waist to be on myself, then worked some w&t rows in a pyramidal fashion to create some extra material on the bottom (sort of like a triangle shaped insert) for my hips. Once it was long enough, I kitchenered the body piece together and then picked up the shoulder strap, which was just straight knitting with two buttonholes at the end. A little steaming at the end to flatten things out, and voila!
David’s at home for Thanksgiving and CeeCee doesn’t have thumbs, so self-timer it was for these photos (operating it was much more difficult than I anticipated). But here’s what the finished* product looks like.
* By finished, I mean finished for now. I might want to shorten it and knit a cool collar onto it, kind of like in the screenshot. That’s what I kind of like/hate about the self-designed project, I’m realizing – either you tweak forever, or you accept that it won’t be 100% what you imagined.
Other copykatniss posts: