Not too long ago, Rachel posted a rather inspiring call to action on her blog. She had seen the new Catching Fire promotional posters, and Katniss was wearing a very interesting (and also very tempting) cowl. After reading her post and all of the excited comments, this was a project I just couldn’t pass up.
I know that I’m not alone in this endeavor – a few other blogs are doing the same project, and it’s a safe bet that a pattern is brewing somewhere in the depths of Ravelry at this very moment. Regardless, here’s what I’ve come up with so far! If I don’t lose my knitting mojo and I like what I create, I’ll put up a full pattern here/on Ravelry for everyone to use.
Yarn selection: Being poor and inexperienced, I chose a bulky acrylic yarn (Knit Picks Brava). I really wanted this to be soft (hence the acrylic over Wool of the Andes), but I don’t have the cash to shell out for a super-soft bulky yarn in a natural fiber. The warmth wasn’t as much of an issue for me as I see this item as more of an accessory that you’d wear over long sleeves anyway, not so much as a protection from the winter elements.
Pattern design: Hoo boy. I spent quite a bit of time with my nose 3in away from the computer screen for this one. From the poster, I would say that the top bit of the cowl looks crocheted. However, I don’t know how to crochet and at this time I am 100% unwilling to learn (too many hobbies, too little time).
Instead, I decided to fake it and knit something ribbed in the round to create a vertical orientation of vv knit stitches.
I haven’t 100% figured out the body of the cowl yet. In order to create the diagonal rib appearance, I think I’ll start with really short rows and gradually increase with right- and left-leaning stitches. I’ll create two right triangles and then seam them on to the bottom of the cowl. They’ll be fastened by toggles or buttons.
Right now I have the beginnings of the cowl – just a few rounds. I’m super excited to keep working and see what happens!